Monday, October 17, 2011

Assignment: Copy a Master - Frank Frazetta

Assignmet: This is the copying a Master in color with texture and stroke as best I can.

I've spent quite a bit of time on this, and painted until my contacts dried out and my finger cramped so much I couldn't use the stylus anymore. Ugh. I really enjoyed the work though and so I want to be great. I could work on this for quite a long time. And I did. The finished result is a the bottom.

Techniques used:

This was a bit difficult as it's an "Oil Lift off" painting. Doing it digitally, I decided to use layers to my advantage. What took me hours to figure out, is that the top layer should be my black instead of the bottom as on previous paintings. Putting the black on top and then using a slightly translucent eraser tool I customized for the job, to erase down to layers to the correct area colors gave me that oil lift off feel.

So I have in layers:
1. Black
2. Green/Blue
3. Red
4. Yellow
5. White

I still feel like I could work some more on it, but as I've heard in the art world, the image is done 20 minutes before it's due.

Original:












And now the Final image:




To prep I did a value study and a pre-critiqued image. Which are also below if you want to see the process.





Assignment: Our next assignment will be to copy one of the create masters. This is similar to the Vitruvian man copy assignment, but now with the experience I've had painting, I'm supposed to be able to mimic as much of the original artists as I can.

Since I'm feeling a bit cocky, and entirely insane, I've chosen Frank Frazetta. One of the most influential people on the SciFi and Fantasy genre. While I don't particulary lean toward his style, (I'm more of a Brom, Jock, Karl Kopinsky, Paul Dainton fan myself) it doesn't get more 'master' for the world of geek than the 'original' Frank. That said, that guy REALLY loved his wife. If you look closely almost 90% of the women



The problem is I'm having trouble deciding which of his pieces to do. I can't really show TOO much boob as I'm hoping to display this in a relatively family involved environment, but I also want to capture him as best I can with out going too complicated and beyond my ability. As it is, I'll likely be streching here.

I've narrowed it down to three options (.. okay five):











No comments:

Post a Comment